According to Standards of Malaysia Act 1996, the law mandated Department of Standards Malaysia (DSM) to function as the National Standards Body (NSB) as well as the National Accreditation Body (NAB) (Act 549).
DSM promotes standardization and accreditation as a means of:
- advancing the national economy;
- benefiting the health, safety and welfare of the public;
- protecting the consumers;
- promoting industrial efficiency and development;
- facilitating domestic and international trade; and furthering international cooperation.